Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Yoga teaches us to cure what need not be endured and endure what cannot be cured

Yoga teaches us to cure what need not be endured and endure what cannot be cured.

~B.K.S. Iyengar


Commentary:

When I have an opportunity to exercise, I tend toward strenuous activities in order to burn up as many calories as I can in the limited time I have. I have been wanting to include yoga in my exercise routine as well, since it has so many benefits for the body and the mind. I used to do yoga a lot, when I was single with no children and seemed to have endless time at my disposal, but until now I haven't been able to find a way to include it in my busy schedule.

But this week as I have been laying on the floor with my 'rug rat', between reading him his favorite books and putting all his toys back in the toy box over and over... it dawned on me, that I too can be a 'rug rat' or rug 'downward dog' or rug 'cobra'. I can do yoga right here in my living room, a little here, a little there. It may not be the absolute quieting of the mind, and I may not always get to complete a full series of asanas, but it would still be better than nothing. I am sure it will still have benefits on my mind and body. There won't be incense burning, fancy yoga clothes or Western gurus named sri something-or-other, but I can live without all that!

No comments: