Friday, October 24, 2008

ancient wisdom, rather comic

ANCIENT WISDOM, RATHER COMIC

Chuang-tzu dreamed,
And having dreamed that he was a bird, a bee, and a butterfly,
He was uncertain why he should try to feel like anything else,
Hence his contentment.

poem by Ezra Pound, in Personae of Ezra Pound (Lustra)

Commentary:

Sometimes our dreams alone are enough to get us through. When I need to relax, I picture myself on a bed of crisp, white sheets with white, translucent curtains draping the open doorway and lightly swaying from a tropical breeze. The sounds of the ocean are audible but not forcibly so. No activities are planned. Restaurant staff and cleaning crew are there when we need them. But I am not them! I eat when I want to eat, sleep when I want to sleep or walk the beach when I wish. Otherwise, I can lie on the crisp, white bed until the spirit moves me. That is my daytime fantasy.

Sometimes at night, I dream that I am flying. Or sometimes, I am swimming in the most crystalline, refreshing ocean one could ever dream of. The blue, blue water is so stimulating to my spirit, that I never want to leave.

What do you dream of that helps keep you content? I would love to hear from you. Keep dreaming over the weekend!

No comments: