Friday, October 3, 2008

"Look how they abused me and beat me,

"Look how they abused me and beat me,
how they threw me down and robbed me."
Live with such thoughts,
and you will know only hate.

*

"Look how they abused me and beat me,
how they threw me down and robbed me."
Abandon such thoughts,
and you will know only love.

from the Dhammapada, by Buddha, translated by Karma Yonten Senge



Commentary:

This is similar to the 'turn the other cheek' mentality encouraged in the Christian religion. However, Buddha explains that if you forgive and forget, you heal yourself. If you hold a grudge, you are only continuing your own misery by rehashing hurtful moments.

1 comment:

Wandering Sage said...

a difficult lesson to learn...it is so easy to allow the brain to control us when it is really the heartmind we need to be living from.