Friday, September 26, 2008

There was a child went forth

There was a child went forth every day,
And the first object he looked upon and received with wonder or
pity or love or dread, that object he became[...]

The early lilacs became part of this child,
And grass, and white and red morningglories, and white and red clover, and the
song of the phoebe bird[...] all became part of him[...]

from Leaves of Grass by Walt Whitman

Luke is finally at an age where everything he comes across he holds in wonder and amazement. He is understanding a lot and learning even more, every day. If I spend time with him wholly, not distracted by dishes or emails or my need to accomplish something in the day, then I too, begin to revel in the wonder of the world, just as I did as a child. And this brings me closer to a state of harmony and peace. There is nothing better than a young child to help us "live in the moment" and remember to "stop and smell the roses".

No comments: